Monday

Fishtailing

by Wendy Phillips

I read another novel in verse.

There. I needed to get that off my chest straight away.  I just loved the last one so much that I needed to read another.

"They bleed all over the page/ but she sees ink/ nudges it into startling shape / with a red pen"

Phillips writes about four high school students and their troubled lives.  The lives of Tricia, Natalie, Miguel and Kyle unfold through the poetry they write both for pleasure and for their English class.  Their tortured pasts and conflicted presents are vivid and realistic.  Their poems are interspersed with their teacher's descriptive feedback and with her concerned correspondence with the guidance department and the principal.

I was quite taken by the book.  I found myself wondering about the teenagers who I see hanging around the school near my house, and about the rest of their stories that happen outside of school. 

Don't worry, I'll be going back to prose now, instead of poetry.  I mean, it's in the title after all. 

♥ Meg xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment